16.9.15

Saturday Shopping by the Sea: Ocean Grove's Fall Flea Market

 

It's been a while since I've posted; mainly because it's been a while since I've been on a shopping adventure!  After my summer vacations I decided it was time to do some pre-fall cleaning, which evolved into pre-fall painting, re-decorating, and purging stuff I didn't want anymore.  I came across the book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo, and so far it has been life changing!  I've been a bit consumed by tidying lately, but since I've created tons of room for some new goodies, when my bestie Hailey (Splendor and Sierra) asked me to join her and her boyfriend Adam at the Ocean Grove Flea Market, I thought it was perfect timing.

The adorable town of Ocean Grove hosts the Flea Market twice a year; once in the spring and once in the fall.  Almost 400 vendors participate; the Flea Market spans quite a few blocks from the Ocean Grove Grand Auditorium to the boardwalk.   This was my first time at the Flea Market, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  There is certainly a little bit of everything, and definitely something for everyone!


There's the standard flea market fare; cheap knockoff handbags, scarves, sunglasses, and of course a vendor selling socks!  However, I'd say the majority of the vendors were selling cool antiques and collectibles, which was exactly what we were looking for.  Hailey and Adam were in search of large vintage mason jars for their kitchen, and possibly a vintage 7-Up crate to match one they currently had.  I wasn't searching for anything in particular; just open to anything that may catch my eye!

Hailey and Adam ended up having a really successful day, finding everything they were looking for, and for good prices.  I was enjoying looking through everything, but didn't really see anything I loved enough to buy until almost the end of the market.  Hailey and I were perusing the tent of a vendor whose taste we loved; everything in the vendor's collection was perfectly curated, very feminine and sweet.  I was immediately drawn to a beautiful deco vanity tray she was selling.  It was in near perfect condition; it came with five glass containers, the middle one with a cute gold lid.  Something about it was so beautiful and unique; it had to be mine! 

After speaking with the seller, she initially wanted around $100 for it, but said that she could do as low as $75.  The piece was actually from Paris; she had recently found it on a trip to visit her daughter who lives there.  The tray was seriously perfect, and it was all the more impressive knowing that it made it across the Atlantic!  But....I wasn't planning on spending that much.  I walked away a few steps, but couldn't leave it behind!  After consulting with Adam and Hailey, I went back and bartered a bit more, settling on $65.  The piece was really one of a kind, and something I know I will treasure forever! 


Here are some other highlights from the flea market:

 PYREX. Can I have all of it?

Photo courtesy of Splendor and Sierra


Photo courtesy of Splendor and Sierra

It was a great day to end summer, with great friends, great weather, and great finds!

I'm still in the process of going through all of my clutter and tidying up; stay tuned for my review of the process in addition to new shopping adventures!

Until then...

xoxo, Bettie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2015 - Designed by Pictures and Paragraphs